Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy New Year!

It's hard to believe that we are more than halfway through January already!! Things have been busy around here since before the holidays! We had an awesome Christmas- the kids (and us) had so much fun! Things have been so busy that I have neglected my blog lately. Rather than going back, we'll just go forward from here! I'm also going to be working on a couple of other blogs in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for those!!

We started off the new year with a bang (well, more like a THUD)! It started with Arianna...as she was playing chase with the guys in the house, she tripped and fell head first into the wall. She ended with a huge goose egg on her forehead and a pretty good chunk of plaster/ paint missing from my wall! As usual though- she didn't even cry too much. Don't let the cuteness fool you- she's one tough girl (with a hard head apparently). Well, not to be outdone by his little sister, Daniel had to do something good. We took the kids to the park one Saturday afternoon and while on the swing, Daniel "closed his eyes and let go" (still not sure the reasoning behind this) and fell straight down on his back and head. Those few seconds after the fall seemed like an eternity although I am aware that it was mere seconds. We don't think he lost consciousness, but he was in shock for sure. The sound of his fall and the blank look in his eyes will stay with me for awhile. Once he began responding to us, he could answer questions correctly and walk. He had ridden his bike to the park (apparently we should have left the helmet ON at the park) so we carried the kids and pulled the bike the few blocks home. On the walk, Tony was convincing me that he was fine and just needed to rest. He laid down when we got home, but not soon after, the vomitting started. So, we switched gears and were off to the ER. We found that head injuries get you "bumped up" in the system- and I would hate to think where we would have been otherwise. It was a LONG day! The waiting, exams, CT scan, waiting and all took about 7 hours and we were put in a room at 1:30am for observation since he had a concussion. Tony had gone home at some point to get some stuff for his stay and Arianna and I would go home when he returned, but by the time he made it back, we were all asleep in the room so there was really no point. I don't think I slept at all, but at least everyone else got some shut eye. We were finally sprung about 1pm and both kids zonked out on the way home. Daniel was SO brave through it all- exams, IV's, CT scan! I don't think that he ever cried during the whole ordeal- I know hat's what helped me keep it together myself. It took Daniel until about Wednesday to really be himself again- which we were really happy to see! It was a very scary time and we are so thankful that it wasn't worse!

Arianna was very concerned about her big brother and wanted to be close to him.


Finally in a room after a very long day- time to crash!


At this point,he was ready to go home (we all were!).

So, it was a very eventful start to the new year for our family! Although we hope for a very good year in 2010, we'll hope for one without anymore hospital visits!

We wish you and your families a happy and healthy 2010!


3 comments:

The Chron Family said...

Carla, I am so sad to hear about Daniel's fall. I can't imagine the fear watching him go through all of that, but I am so glad that everything is ok and that he feeling like himself again. I wish you guys well! We miss you!

Mata Family said...

Thanks Meagan- I'm very thankful that we had a good ending to the story and he is fine! We miss you guys too. Maybe we can plan something for the kids in the summer!

Blue Line Bulldogs said...

Oh honey! What a way to start the year! Let's hope this is it for the bumps & brusies...or at least the hospital stays! Glad they're both ok now! Sending big hugs your way!